Thursday, August 13, 2015

Cloud Dough

As I had anticipated it would be, the rainbow rice was a huge hit! Seriously, my boys played with it for a full hour, and I actually had to put it away in the art closet so that they would eat their breakfast (we introduced them to the sensory bin when they woke up waaaay too early on a Saturday morning). Since the rice was such a huge hit, I decided to whip up some "cloud dough" the other day to continue with the sensory bin fun! Another awesome success---my kids loved it so much! Cloud dough is ridiculously simple to make since it contains a grand total of TWO (non-toxic) ingredients! The end result is a heavenly-soft, crumbly, and slightly-moldable material that is super fun to sink bare hands into! Recipe below:

Find a container suitable for a sensory bin (this isn't a cat litter box pictured, but something along those lines....CLEAN, of course....would work just fine)...


The two ingredients needed are flour and vegetable oil, things you may already have in your kitchen!


Measure and pour 8 cups of flour into the empty bin...


Add 1 cup of vegetable oil...


Mix the flour and oil together thoroughly!


I used a masher, but a spoon or whisk works too...


Keep mixing until you have a fluffy, crumbly substance...



The cloud dough is all ready for play! Provide your child(ren) with cups/spoons/funnels for measuring/pouring/etc., or provide any other small toys/objects that you can thing of to encourage creative play. Use your imagination!


This wonderful sensory material will keep for a long time if properly stored...


Give it a try, and let me know what you think! I can tell that cloud dough is a sensory bin that my boys will be playing with again and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment